The Biology Department would like to congratulate the following award recipients:
Academic Excellence Award for Biology
A medal is awarded to the outstanding graduating senior Biology major as selected by the faculty . To be eligible the student must have completed a minimum of 15 residence hours, and have a discipline GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- 2014 - Robyn R. Reynolds, Biology
Joseph James Dresser, Cell and Molecular Biology
- 2013 - Ryan Mantooth, Biology
Liane Gozmao, Cell and Molecular Biology
Taylor Maylott, Conservation Biology
- 2012 - David Koh
- 2011 - Faris Bakeer
- 2010 - Whitney Jones
- 2009 - Brian Bodnarchuk
- 2008 - Kenneth Lewoczko
- 2007 - Joshua Matthew Hall
- 2006 - Chelsea Rose Mytyk
- 2005 - Lara McCartney
- 2004 - James Richard Layton | Stefani Michelle Martin
- 2003 - Lee Christopher Holt
- 2002 - Sonya Diane Mitchell
Whiteaker Freshman Award for Biology
The Biology Department selects a freshman major or minor based on outstanding scholastic achievement, financial need, Christian service, and school spirit.
- 2014 - Joseph Bakeer
- 2013 - Gray Harrison Magee | Hannah Grace Richardson
- 2012 - Shawn Randolph
- 2011 - Brandon Churchill
- 2010 - Evan Hare
- 2009 - Amanda Atkinson
- 2008 - Kayla Hauss
- 2007 - Ashley Hamilton
- 2006 - Katie Williams
- 2005 - Kenneth Lewoczko
- 2004 - Justin Hutto
- 2003 - Brooke Fowler
- 2002 - Kerstin Ure
Biology Research Award
This award is given by the faculty of the Department of Biology to the student who presents the best research project of the year.
- 2014 - Chelsea Cothran
- "Investigating the escape response to auditory and visual stimuli in American crows"
- 2013 - Ryan Mantooth
- "Measuring the effects of beta-2-gylcoprotein on thrombin production through direct inhibition and the prothrombinase complex"
- 2012 - Beth Lee
- "Effects of scopomine-induced cholinergic blocking on odor acquisition in mice "
- 2011 - Audrey Garneau
- "Measuring the effects of beta-2-glycoprotein on thrombin production through direct inhibition and the prothrombinase complex"
- 2011 - Marci Davis
- "Mechanistic analyses of novel compounds that reactivate latent HIV-1 expression"
- 2010 - Danielle Teichen
- "Effects of Ascorbic Acid on metabolic rate and glutathione liver tissue content in Mus musculus"
- 2009 - Brian Bodnarchuk
- "Intestinal helminths of the gray squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) in western Kentuck and western Tennessee"
- 2008 - Callie Bodnarchuk
- "Production of Secretin - Gly in Escherichia coli."
- 2007 - Scott Harden
- "An improved assay for measuring the effect of acetylcholine, caffience, and nicotine on the hearbeat rate of Triops longicaudatus larvae"
- 2006 - Brooke Fowler
- "The effects of prenatal and postnatal exposure to DDT on the body mass of mice"
- 2005 - Kerstin Ure
- "Assessment of the health of five streams in west Tennessee: A collaborative study with TDEC"
- 2004 - James Layton
- "Surface protein Spb-1 enhances uptake and intracellular survival of group B Streptococcus serotype III-3 in J774 macrophages"
- 2003 - Chris Rickman
- "The effect of air pollution in West Tennessee on the growth rate of the southern red oak, Quercus falcata"
- 2002 - Melita Smith
- "Production of Esterase-4 during the cotton boll weevil, Anthonomus grandis Boh. Life cycle"
- She presented the results of her study at the Tennessee Academy of Sciences West Tennessee Collegiate Meeting