Phi Alpha Theta Presents Best Chapter Award Check to Union's Library Director
Jan 7, 2009 - Joshua Abbotoy, president of Union’s Delta-Psi Chapter of Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society, presented a $250 check from Phi Alpha Theta national headquarters to Mr. Steve Baker, Union’s library director, in a special ceremony at the library on January 7, 2009. The check was given to Union in recognition of the Delta-Psi Chapter as a Phi Alpha Theta Best Chapter Award winner in 2008. Also present for the occasion were Delta-Psi Chapter Vice President Carl Harken and Dr. Stephen Carls, the chapter’s faculty advisor.
The library will use the money to pay for several new history books it has added to its holdings. The books include:
- Beyond Justice: The Auschwitz Trial;
- A Question of Balance: How France and the United States Created Cold War Europe;
- Mary Queen of Scots: An Illustrated Life;
- The Nazi Conscience;
- The Terezin Album of Mariànka Zadikow;
- For Prophet and Tsar: Islam and Empire in Russia and Central Asia;
- Four Hats in the Ring: The 1912 Election and the Birth of Modern American Politics; and
- Radio’s America: The Great Depression and the Rise of Modern Mass Culture.
Phi Alpha Theta Chapter President Joshua Abbotoy (center right) presents a $250 check to Director of the Library Steve Baker (center left) at a check presentation ceremony at the Union University library on January 7, 2009. Union’s Phi Alpha Theta Faculty Advisor Dr. Stephen Carls (left) and Delta-Psi Chapter Vice President Carl Harken (right) hold the books that Delta-Psi purchased for the library with the Phi Alpha Theta Best Chapter Award prize money.
The books that Union’s Delta-Psi Chapter of Phi Alpha Theta purchased with its $250 Best Chapter Award money lie on a table in the library on January 7, 2009.