Evening Circulation Supervisor
Union University seeks an individual with strong interpersonal skills to supervise a busy customer service desk during late evening hours in the Emma Waters Summar Library.
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown and Hendersonville, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls more than 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 40 states and 30 countries. Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ-centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence. Union was also recently recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For,” one of only 30 four-year institutions to receive this honor roll designation.
The Circulation Supervisor provides oversight for the primary customer service desk during assigned hours and reports to the Circulation Manager. Duties include:
- Supervises the main information service desk during assigned hours.
- Participates in the training of student workers in areas of responsibility.
- Coordinates the orderly shelving of books, serials, and other library materials.
- Supervises the maintenance of the media collection.
- Trouble-shoots library technology during assigned hours.
- Provides a basic level of reference and referral service.
- Coordinates the routine maintenance of all patron use copiers.
- Supervises student assistants in areas of responsibility.
- Maintains statistical records and prepares regular reports.
- Assists in the maintenance of the reserve collection.
- Assists in the ordering of inter-library loan requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree as well as the skills needed to supervise student assistants and the library during evening and late-night service hours is required. Proficiency in basic library research methods and standard productivity software is also required. Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience working in a library and/or coursework in library science.
Successful candidates must be professing Christians who are active members of a local Christian church, articulate a Christian worldview in their work and life, and enthusiastically support Union University’s Identity, Mission and Core Values.
Interested individuals may access an application below. Send the completed application, resume, and a letter expressing interest to: Director of Human Resources, Union University, 1050 Union University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305, or by fax to 731-661-5177, or via E-mail to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for this Staff Position