Union University

Information Technology

Information Technology

Information Technology > Training > New Individuals

Information for Non-Students/Employees New to Union

Welcome to Union University! Information Technology (IT) supports the university in many ways, which you can learn about by viewing our A-Z Services Catalog on the right of most pages within this IT web site.

Here you'll find frequently asked questions that will help you learn about the services and resources IT provides.

Important note: Because of your status with the University, you may not have access to some resources/services described on the IT website.

If you have questions not answered here, feel free to contact us by the e-mail address or phone number in the Getting Help section on the right of this page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Accounts, login and network services

Web-based services


What do I need to know about acceptable use of technology at Union?

Your use of technology at Union is guided by our Acceptable Use Policy, which is a part of the Faculty Handbook and the Staff Handbook.

How do I access Union's services? What accounts will I get? What's my e-mail address?

You will have an account to access each service that the university provides. All of your accounts will be based on your name. They will be set up by the IT staff.

Your official Union e-mail address is your account name followed by @uu.edu. You are responsible for responding to any messages sent to that account, so you should check it regularly. You will also have file storage space associated with your account name. Learn more about your e-mail and file storage.

If you are returning to Union, please be aware that your accounts may be named differently from where you were here earlier. This would be the case if anyone else with a similar name is working here now. Any e-mail or files you may have had in the past are no longer accessible.

When are my accounts created?

Your accounts are created just before your official start date.

How do I know my account name (username)?

You should have received a personalized, sealed letter from Human Resources or your department's support staff. This letter from IT includes your account name.

Note: If you have had a Union student username and email address in the past, you will now use your new employee username and email address for all Union technology access.

Is there anything I need to do after I learn my account name? What is my password?

Before you use your account name, you need to change your initial password to something that only you know. Your initial password is the last six digits of your Social Security Number.

Go to password.uu.edu to change your password. You can change your password at any time and as often as you want. You should always keep your password private.

How do I sign in?

Your Union account name or your Union e-mail address will be used to sign into most university services. For a complete list of services and sign-in formats, see this list of sites.

Who do I contact if I have problems with my accounts? with network access?

Most problems with University-provided technical services can be solved by contacting the IT Help Desk using the link, e-mail address or phone number in the Getting Help section at the top right of this page.

Is there a centralized location for Union technology services?

There are two sites you can use to access our services, the IT website and WebAdvisor.

Information Technology's website www.uu.edu/it houses all publicly available information about technology for the University. The page you are viewing now is part of that site. The QuickLinks section on most IT website pages includes links to other commonly used systems.

WebAdvisor houses private information and services at webadvisor.uu.edu. To learn more about WebAdvisor, such as how to sign in, visit the WebAdvisor information page

What does network access provide? What storage space do I get?

You may be provided storage space on the university network to store files, e-mail, etc. Your space is allocated on up to three network drives/folders explained below. (Depending on how your account services were requested, you may not have access to departmental or all-employee storage space.) Files stored on those drives are backed up nightly. If you save files on your computer's hard drive, you are responsible for their backup.

Learn more about employee file storage.

Students do not have any access to the any of these drives.

Can I print in my office or in the labs?

All office areas and the labs are equipped with laser printers. There are no limits for employee printing.

Students are provided a number of free prints each term, based on the university's PaperWise print management system. They can purchase more as needed. Learn more about the PaperWise system.

Can I print a file stored on my personally-owned device?

Union's PawPrint service allows you to upload a document from your device for printing on a PawPrint-designated printer. Learn about the PawPrint process and find printers here.

How do I connect to Union's wireless network?

Using your device's normal methods to access a wireless network, connect to Union's wireless network. There is no password.

How do I view my pay stub (pay advice) and other personal financial information?

WebAdvisor is the system you will use to review your pay advices, tax information, bank direct-deposit information, etc. Learn more about WebAdvisor.

What options do we have for virtual meetings?

The Jackson and Germantown campuses have videoconferencing equipment in specific buildings. This can be used for high-quality audio/video conferences, either between campuses or from a campus to any other compatible videoconference site in the world.

Computer screen-sharing and desktop conferencing is available using Zoom. The university has a limited number of licenses, each of which can accommodate several people at different locations.

Learn more about each of these options.

Where can I get software for my computer?

If you need software for your office computer, see 'Hardware & Software' under the Services Catalog heading at the top right of this page.

If you need software for your home computer, view the Software Purchasing information under the Quick Links section at the top right of this page.

How do I connect my phone/tablet to my UU email?

Your device must have support to connect to a Microsoft Exchange server. If it does, you can access your Union e-mail, calendar and contacts. Use the settings listed on the Employee-only FAQs tab of the university portal's IT site. (If you need help, visit the portal sign-in help page.) Important Note: If you were not provided portal access due to your University status, please ask an employee in your area to access the IT portal site for you; you can also contact the IT Help Desk for assistance.

Remember that if you ever change your Union password, you will also need to update the Union e-mail password you enter on your device.

Due to the wide variety of devices, we are not able to provide specific instructions for each kind of phone. Please be aware that Union's IT staff is not able to provide any support for personal devices beyond the instructions within the portal.

What support does Union have for mobile devices and remote access?

Visit our mobility support page for centralized information about apps, campus wireless service, access to various services on different kinds of devices, Union-specific discounts on your cellular phone service, general security tips and more.

If I have problems with my own computer or questions about it, who do I contact?

Get answers to additional frequently asked questions.

Quick Links

Getting Help
A-Z Services Catalog
Student Resources
Employee Resources
Information Technology

Excellence-Driven Christ-Centered People-Focused Future-Directed

Apply to Union Campus Visits Give to Union