JACKSON, Tenn. – Oct. 30, 2008 – Tours of the new residence life complexes, a new class of Sports Hall of Fame inductees, the class of 1959’s 50-year reunion and a family-friendly tailgate party will be the key features for Union University’s 2008 Homecoming Nov. 7-8.
“We want people to be able to come on campus and share our excitement over all the new things – the new look of the campus – and the blessings of God that have come our way over the last eight months,” said Gary Williams, Union’s associate vice president for university relations and alumni services.
Among the events that are part of Homecoming this year:
• the Union University Sports Hall of Fame induction dinner, Nov. 7 at 6 p.m. Inductees include Jimmy Bryant, Ronnie Giddens, “Indian” Joe Guyon, Lisa Hutchens, Keith Reynolds and Jim Swope.
• the 50-year reunion for the class of 1959 Nov. 7, with special recognition at the 10 a.m. Homecoming chapel service, followed by a luncheon and chartered bus tour of the former campus in downtown Jackson.
• the annual Alumni Awards presentation, Nov. 7 during chapel at 10 a.m. with a luncheon to follow. Award recipients are Stephen Carls with the Distinguished Faculty/Staff Award and Hutson McCorkle with the Distinguished Alumni Award.
• Homecoming golf tournament Nov. 8 at 8 a.m. at Highland Green.
• an “Arts in the Park,” alumni art exhibition, with items for show and sale, Nov. 8 beginning at 11:30 a.m. on the Great Lawn. The event will include book signings, pottery, sculpture, paintings, jewelry and more.
• a tailgate party on the Great Lawn Nov. 8 beginning at 11:30 a.m. Food will be for sale by campus organizations. Memorabilia will be for sale at the alumni tent. Activities for children will include inflatables, pony rides, petting zoo and the Family Olympics.
• Class of 1988 20-year reunion, 11:30 a.m. on the Great Lawn.
• Lady Bulldogs basketball game Nov. 8 at 2 p.m. against St. Catharine College, followed by the Bulldogs playing Robert Morris College. The Homecoming queen and court will be presented at halftime of the women’s game.
• tours of the new residential complexes on Nov. 8, beginning at noon.
Several academic departments, including chemistry, continuing studies, biology, engineering, language, education, Christian studies and communication arts will also hold reunion events for their alumni over the Homecoming weekend.
For more information about any Homecoming event, contact Union’s Office of Alumni Services at (800) 338-6644.