JACKSON, Tenn. – Oct. 28, 2010 – A family-friendly tailgate party, a new class of Sports Hall of Fame inductees and the class of 1961’s 50-year reunion will be the key features of Union University’s 2010 Homecoming week Nov. 1-6.
Among the events that are part of Homecoming this year:
• the Union University Sports Hall of Fame induction dinner, Nov. 5 at 6 p.m. Inductees include Kenneth B. “Sadie” Hawkins, Lauren Hayden, James A. “Casey” Jones, Bob Agee, Warren Olden and Gerry Neese.
• the 50-year reunion for the class of 1961 Nov. 5, with special recognition at the 10 a.m. Homecoming chapel service, followed by a luncheon and chartered bus tour of the former campus in downtown Jackson.
• the annual Alumni Awards presentation, Nov. 5 during chapel at 10 a.m. with a luncheon to follow. Award recipients are George Guthrie, the Benjamin W. Perry Professor of Bible at Union, with the Distinguished Alumnus Award, Marvin and Jean Fitts with the Distinguished Service Award, and Robert Cox, of the Union Facilities Management team, with the Distinguished Faculty/Staff Award.
• an “Arts in the Park,” exhibition, with items for show and sale, Nov. 6 beginning at 10:30 a.m. on the Great Lawn. The event will include pottery, sculpture, paintings, jewelry and more.
• a tailgate party on the Great Lawn Nov. 6 beginning at 10:30 a.m. Food will be for sale by campus organizations. Memorabilia will be for sale at the LifeWay table. Activities for children will include inflatables, pony rides, petting zoo, train rides around the Great Lawn and the Family Olympics.
• Lady Bulldogs basketball game Nov. 6 at 2 p.m. against the University of St. Francis (Ill.), followed by the Bulldogs playing Truett-McConnell College (Ga.). The Homecoming queen and court will be presented at halftime of the women’s game.
• Recording artist Dave Barnes in concert Nov. 5 at 8 p.m. in the G.M. Savage Memorial Chapel. Tickets are available at www.uu.edu/events/homecomingconcert.
Several academic departments will also hold reunion events for their alumni during the weekend.
A complete list of Homecoming week activities is available at www.uu.edu/events/homecoming/2010. For more information about any Homecoming event, contact Union’s Office of Alumni Services at (800) 338-6644. -30-