Jefferson Street Baptist Center is a non-profit ministry that exists to extend gospel-centered mercy to the homeless and hurting of the greater Louisville, KY area. Since 1888, JSBC has been operating a variety of Christian ministries to meet the physical and spiritual needs of men and women recovering from homelessness, crisis and addiction.
The Grant Writer Intern will be responsible for writing proposals for both unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects and for submitting timely and accurate reports for all existing grant funded projects. The Physical Donations Coordinator Intern will support JSBC by working with the Leadership Team to assess donation needs, contacting potential physical goods donors, answering phone calls related to physical goods donations, scheduling pickups, thanking donors, and performing administrative activities that will help increase efficiency. This internship will provide hands on experience and will help forge invaluable relationships with individuals interested in donating to JSBC.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
- Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants.
- Work with Chief Financial Officer to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation funders on current grant programs.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Provide stewardship to current donors, including providing regular written updates (newsletters etc) to corporate and foundation donors.
- Understanding of institutional history and programs.
- Make appointments for Director of Development with foundation officers and other prospects, arrange for onsite tours for supporters.
- Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Track statistics relevant to development and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship (visitor number and diversity, educational program attendance, etc).
- Work with Leadership Team to provide development input for all written institutional materials(including Annual Report, Member magazine).
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested
- University Degree (or equivalent) or at least two years experience of grant writing
- Previous experience with non-profit fundraising.
- Comfortable working in deadline-driven environments.
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Able to monitor and meet income goals.
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Strong editing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Strong contributor in team environments
- Positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative
- Ability to multi-task and have many details in progress at once
- High standard of excellence in work
- Friendly and conversational
- GPA at least 3.0
- Passionate about the mission and vision of JSBC
As an employee of Jefferson Street Baptist Center, the Advance Louisville Director is an important member of the ministry. All staff members are considered Christian missionaries and therefore because of the nature of the ministry it is an absolute necessity that all staff members possess and maintain a testimony and lifestyle that is above reproach.
This is a position requiring 40-45 hours each week. Interns are expected to make a 3 month, 6 month or 12 month commitment to this position.
Fundraising & Compensation:
This is a fundraised position with a monthly financial need of $800 before any personal expenses. Interns will be provided with furnished housing including utilities covered, all meals while on duty and an additional financial stipend to cover personal groceries, gas and other expenses. Interns making a 12 month commitment will also receive health insurance. Intern must be willing to request financial support from friends and family. Intern will be expected to follow all fundraising steps as outlined in JSBC’s Guide to Fundraising.