Steps for Requesting Accommodations with the Office for Disability Services at Union University:
- Students seeking accommodations from at Union University on the basis of a diagnosed disability are required to complete the
Request for Reasonable Accommodations form (.pdf).
No accommodations can be given until all documentation has been received and approved by the Office for Disability Services. Therefore, students are encouraged to submit
documentation for review as soon as possible to ensure the process can be completed in a timely manner. Entering students are encouraged to submit materials by June 1st for
fall semester and November 1st for spring semester. Application and documentation materials can be submitted to the Director, Jon Abernathy, electronically at
firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to (731) 661-5187 attn. Jon Abernathy, or mailed to:
*Please include all relevant medical, psychological, psychoeducational, or neuropsychological documentation (preferably within the last three years),
as to verify eligibility for accommodations provided under the Americans with Disabilities Act using our Documentation Guidelines.
Office for Disability Services,
Attn: Jon Abernathy
1050 Union University Dr.
Jackson, TN 38305-3697
- Once the initial accommodation request form and appropriate documentation have been received, the Director will contact the student to set up an intake meeting. Intake meetings focus on discovering the student's needs, the impact of the disability, and supportive actions. Intake meetings can be held over the phone if needed, though a face-to-face interview is preferred.
- The Director of the Office of Disability Services will then contact the student via email and phone to notify him or her of the final accommodations provided through the university. These accommodations will be documented in a letter of accommodation, which is given to the student.
- The Director will email the student an electronic version of the letter of accommodation. Once the student has the official accommodation letter, he or she is able to contact instructors via email with the letter of accommodation attached. The Office for Disability Services provides a template to assist students in writing instructors concerning their disability and can also assist in providing email address of instructors.
- The accommodation letters should be emailed by the student to each instructor. Accommodations do not become effective until the instructor receives the accommodation letter. (Note: We recommend that students establish contact with each instructor at the beginning of each semester to present and discuss accommodations. This initial contact creates an opportunity for discussion between the student and the instructor.)
- At the beginning of every semester, students approved for reasonable accommodations will need to request a current Letter of Accommodation, from the Director, to deliver to instructors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Meet the Staff
- Jon Abernathy, M.S.Ed.
- Office: PAC F-19
- Phone: 731-661-6520
- Fax: 731-661-5187
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Box: 1806
Location and Hours
- 1050 Union University Drive, Jackson
- Penick Academic Complex, Hallway F, Room 19 (Between Union Station and the Library)
- 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday - Friday