Family Weekend 2011
Schedule of Events
Subject to Change
Friday, September 30
- 9:00am-6:00pm Registration
Student Union Building Atrium (SUB)
- 10:00am Chapel
Todd Brady, Special Assistant to the President for University Relations
- 11:00am-1:15pm Lunch (Tickets or meal card required)
Brewer Dining Hall
- Noon-10pm Open Visitation hours
Families may visit their student's room. Please inform roommates of visitors.
- 9:00am-5:00pm Optional Classes
Parents may attend class with their student
- 9:00am - 4:00pm Art Gallery
- Afternoon Optional Workshops:
- 1:00pm Study Abroad Workshop
- 2:00pm Go Trips Workshop
This will be an opportunity for you to learn more about the GO (Global Outreach) program as well as get answers to questions you may have as a parent of someone interested in going on a GO Trip.
- 3:00pm Parents' Workshop
What to Expect from your Student: Understanding College Transitions
Join us as we hear a panel of experts discuss issues and experiences common to students at each level of the undergraduate years.
- 3:00pm Sibling's Session
Siblings of Union Students are encouraged this 30 minute workshop to learn more about Union!
- 6:00 - 8:00 Make-a-Wish Cookout (Advance tickets required)
Bowld Commons & Grace Quad.
We will kick off the weekend with an outdoor cookout, music, and fun! Join us for a great evening, and support the Make-A-Wish Foundation as well. The ladies of Chi Omega and the Aramark staff sponsor this event.
- 8:00pm-10:00pm Movie on the Lawn
Bring chairs and blankets and join us for one of our favorite events - Movie on the Lawn. Always a favorite among our students, this event involves a giant movie screen, a new release, and theater snacks.
Sponsored by Undergraduate Admissions and the Student Activities Council.
- Friday night Sibling Sleepover
Siblings may stay overnight in their brother or sister's room. Siblings of the opposite gender may stay if 7 or younger. Please inform roommates if a sibling is staying overnight.
Saturday, October 1
- 8:00am Lady's Cross Country Meet
- 8:40am Men's Cross Country Meet
- 9:00am-10:30am President's Brunch Registration
- 10:00am President's Brunch (Advance tickets required)
Grant Center, Casual Dress
Join us for brunch and the State of the Union address from President Dockery.
- 11:15am Tour of the Bowld Student Commons
Following the President's Brunch, meet us outside of the Grant Center for a tour of the new Bowld Student Commons.
- Noon-5:00pm Intramural games
Lawn chairs recommended.
West Jackson Baptist Church, intramural fields
- Noon-10pm Open Visitation hours
Families may visit their student's room. Please remember to inform roommates.
- 1:00pm-3:00pm Family Swim
The pool will open to entire Union community and guests from 3-6 pm.
- 5:30pm- 6:30pm Will Call
All Sing Tickets pre-purchased through Family Weekend website may be picked up outside the Chapel.
- 7:00pm All Sing (Advance tickets required)
Savage Memorial Chapel | Doors open at 6:00 p.m.
All Sing is a musical competition open to all organizations on campus. It features small and large acts, and each group is judged on several categories, including musicality and creativity. Presented by Sigma Alpha Iota
Sunday, October 2
Sunday morning is a great opportunity to worship with your student at the church he or she attends. We hope you are able to stay for the morning and join them in their new church home.