Bylaws of the Engineering Student Advisory Committee
- Purpose of the Committee: The purpose of the Engineering Advisory Committee is to suggest academic improvements for the engineering program to the engineering faculty on behalf of the students.
- Members consist of the following
- Senior Representative (s)
- Junior Representative (s)
- Sophomore Representative (s)
- Freshman Representative (s)
There is a 1:15 representative to student ratio per class.
- Nature of Selection
Voting Rights of Committee Members: Each committee member has an equal vote.
Term of Office: The term of office begins in the fall and ends in the spring for one full year. Representatives follow same rule in running for position as does the
president as stated in 2B.1. In the case of a committee member leaving the university during the second semester, a fill-in will be named by the Engineering Student Advisory
Attendance: Meetings will be prioritized into two categories as stated by the president.
- President: President must be an engineering junior or senior. Any junior or senior who wishes to be president must nominate themselves before the faculty. Faculty will
review and vote among themselves. In the case of a tie or no decision, a seminar will be included for the engineering students to vote. April 15th is the last day for all
- Representatives: Representatives shall be elected by their fellow students of their class determination. In the case of a tie or no decision, the faculty decides with
- Priority 1 - A mandatory meeting for all representatives or there will be a cancellation of the meeting. After second attempted meeting, the representative’s class has no say and will be left blank on the report.
- Priority 2 - This meeting is mandatory of the president and at least 60% present including the president. All those who are not present, forfeit rights of opinion and
their vote for their class in the matter.
- Frequency: There will be at least one Priority 1 meeting per semester. The president may schedule more meetings as needed.
- Meeting Schedule: It is the president’s duty to arrange date and location of meetings that will best suit the representatives.
- Agenda: The agenda will be planned by the President.
- Special Meetings: Any representative may request a meeting through the President.
- Governance to Conduct Meetings: President will conduct meetings unless previously agreed upon by committee members prior to the meeting.
- Minutes: Scribe will elected by the committee members for a semester. The same scribe may run again for the position after the semester. The scribe takes minutes during each
meeting. If the scribe does not arrive for a meeting, a temporary scribe for the meeting will be assigned by the President.
- Drafting of Reports: This is the Vice President’s duty. The Vice President is voted within the committee in first meeting of the school year. The Vice President’s
term will last for the Fall and Spring semester consecutively.
- Quorum: The Quorum is the numerical majority of the Priority 1 or Priority 2 meetings.
- Voting: The voting will be by voice or hand gesture. A secret ballot may be arranged if previously approved by the committee.
- Invited Guests: All invited guests may attend if agreed upon by the committee prior to the start of the meeting.
- End of the Semester Report: The report is developed in the last meeting of Fall and Spring semester. The report will contain the recommendations from the committee as a whole
presented to the engineering faculty.
Subcommittees: Subcommittees may be assembled by the committee for a specific issue at any time.
Ratification of Bylaws and/or Amendments: When a new bylaw or amendment is introduced it can be passed with 2/3 membership votes. Any member of the board may create a new bylaw or amendment. The board member must present the bylaw or amendment to the chair so that it can be put on the agenda during a meeting.
- President of the Committee: The president is responsible for the agenda of the meetings, contacting the members of committee prior to the
meetings, and communicating with
the engineering faculty concerning the committee.
- Vice President: The Vice President will write and prepare official reports inside and outside of meetings as needed.
- Scribe: A scribe is needed for every meeting and will take the minutes from each meeting.