Grammar and StyleYour papers should be written in formal English. While this is not an English grammar class, I do have expectations for the quality of your work. Consequently, I will stop reading a paper that has 3 grammatical errors. Most people, including most employers, do not want to hire individuals with improper grammar because they will think, sometime mistakenly, that the individual is not intelligent. Below are 24 common grammatical mistake to avoid.
1. Don't use no double negatives.
2. Make each pronoun agree with their antecedent.
3. Join clauses good, like a conjunction should.
4. When dangling, watch your participles.
5. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.
6. Don't use commas, which aren't necessary.
7. Try not to ever split infinitives.
8. Its important to use your apostrophe's correctly.
9. Don't write run-on sentences they are hard to read.
10. It behooves the writer to avoid archaic expressions.
11. Don't use hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it effectively.
12. Avoid clichés like the plague.
13. Mixed metaphors are a pain in the neck and should be thrown in the lake.
14. A truly good writer is always especially careful to practically eliminate the too-frequent use of adverbs.
15. Placing a comma between subject and predicate, is not correct.
16. Parenthetical words however should be enclosed in commas.
17. Corect spellin is esential.
18. Always proofread your copy to see if you any words out.
19. Don't use contractions in formal papers.
20. Don't use "quotation marks" for emphasis.
21. "Quotation marks" may be used if the word is being used in a different way than its usual meaning, but only use them the first time the word is used. Don't use "quotation marks" every time the word appears.
22. "Punctuation", says a sage, "should go inside the quotation marks".
23. A writer should choose one set of pronouns and stick with it. He or she should not use both genders or he or she will lose his or her readers. Nor should s/he attempt to use a combined form of the pronouns. Nor should
they substitute a plural form of the pronoun. The best solution is often to rewrite the sentence so you don't need to specify a gender.
24. Unnecessary use of the word that is a mistake that many people make.