G. Jan Wilms, Ph.D.
(731) 661-5186 (fax)
Ph.D. in Computer
of Science in Computer Science from the
of Arts in English from the
of Arts Degree in English and Flemish from the Katholieke
· Teacher Licensure (grades 7-12) for Dutch and ESL.
· Chair (Fall 05
present) of the Computer Science Department at
· Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences ('02-'03 through '04-'05, and '07-'08). Also CS Discipline Coordinator for the Mathematics / Computer Science Department.
· Chair ('96-'97 trough '01-'02) of the Mathematics / Computer Science Department at
· Tenured Professor (Jan. 03 - present) at Union University. Teaching upper-level undergraduate courses and literacy classes for non-majors. Responsible for developing a Digital Media Studies major, a networking and a computer maintenance class, a senior seminar course & and for teaching special-topics classes such as Artificial Intelligence, GIS and Web Services.
· Committee responsibilities:
o Member of the Long-Term Strategic Planning Committee (QIC: 94 95 and 95 96; Academic Council: '02 Summer 05)
o Chair of Faculty Affairs Committee (94, 95, and 97 98); President of the Faculty Forum: 98 99; Convener of the Chairs Council (97 98)
o Technology: Member of the Technology MasterPlan TaskForce (98 00), Chair of the Library / Resources Standing Committee (99 00), Faculty Representative on ARIS Council ('01 present).
o Past responsibilities: Center for Faculty Development, International Studies Advisory Council
Professor (Jan. 97 Dec.
Professor (Aug. 92 Dec.
Research Assistant, at
· Systems Analyst, Aug. 90 Jul. 91 at the Logistics Branch of the Belgian Army. Developed programs in dBase and Clipper.
· Lecturer at MSU, Summer 88 - Summer 90. Responsible for teaching and coordinating introductory and intermediate service courses, as well as supervising laboratory assistants. Also taught "Applied Computing Concepts I & II" to graduate, non-technical majors.
· Instructor (Fall 87 Spring 88) and Teaching Assistant (86 87) at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) Computer Science Department: programming languages, data structures.
· Teaching Assistant (85 86) at the English Department: Freshmen Composition.
· Consultant at the Ole Miss computer center, first with the Amdahl mainframe, then in the graphics microlab. Conducted seminars on available software (84 87)
· Tutor (English, math, computer languages) with the MSU Athletic Academics (Fall 89 Summer 90) and the Ole Miss housing program (84 85)
Presentations and Publications
· Member of a CGE educational delegation to Myanmar, Jan ’05.
· QuizMaster: a software-based student response system presented at the CCCU2004 Conference on Technology, Jun 4 04.
· Facilitator of the Hot Topics In IT breakout session at the CCCU2003 Conference on
Advanced Excel to Facilitate the Administrative & Strategic Role of the
Chair presented at the 19th Annual Chairpersons Conference,
The Role Of Disciplinary Culture In Information
Science, team presentation at the CCCU2001 Conference on Technology,
· Digital Media Studies: Creating an interdisciplinary major - purpose, process, and implementation presented at the CCCU2000 Conference on Technology, Azusa Pacific June 00.
Practical Project in JAVA to Teach Client/Server Programming, presented at
the Mid-SouthEast ACM Fall Conference,
on WBBJ news on the
a Hybrid System of Corpus- and Knowledge-Based Techniques to Automate the
Induction of a Lexical Sublanguage Grammar, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Computational
Linguistics (COLING), Kopenhagen
· Belli, Manual, Hodges, Wilms. "Hardwood. A Decision-Making Tool for Bottomland Hardwood Stands in the Gulf South", The Compiler Vol 11, no 2, 93, pp 4-7.
Corpus-Based Techniques to Customize a Lexicon for a New Domain", Proceedings of the 31st Annual SE Regional
Extraction of a Sublanguage Grammar", Abstracts of the Annual Meeting of the Classification Society of North
an On-line Dictionary to Extract a List of Sense-Disambiguated Synonyms",
Proceedings of the 30th Annual SE
Regional ACM Conference,
a List of Sense-Disambiguated Synonyms", Proceedings of the first SE Cognitive Science Conference,
a Machine Readable Dictionary", Proceedings
of the 28th Annual SE Regional ACM Conference,
Boggess, Hodges, Cordova, Wilms. "The
Automatic Extension of a Knowledge Base through Natural Language Expressions",
Technical Report MS890801,
Natural Language Interface for an Intelligent Document Evaluation and Analysis
System", Proceedings of the 26th
Annual SE Regional ACM Conference,
Schoenly, Wilms, Mustapha. Intelligent
Document Information Retrieval System for Determinants of Medication Research
Literature Collection, presented at the National ACM Conference,
· "Monkey and Bananas: Monotonic Problem solving in Prolog", Journal of the Mississippi Academy of Sciences, vol XXXII 87, p 60.
Academic Awards, Grants, Honors, and Organizations
· The Newell Innovative Teaching Award– honorable mention (’06-‘07).
· Research Leave for Fall 05 taught a semester
· Undergraduate Research Grant from Union University (05-06 and '06-'07).
· Active Learning Pedagogy Grant from
· Study Grant from
· International/Intercultural Program Development Grant (Winter 03).
· Teagle Grant for Faculty/Student Research (02-'03).
· Teagle Grant for New Course Development: to write a textbook for a lab-based Networking class using Linux (Spring 01).
· Grants in-kind:
¨ Cisco CIAG Product Grant (±$15,000 ’06-’07))
¨ Microsoft Instructional Lab Grant 96 ($59,720) and 97 ($21,797)
¨ Borland Curriculum Grant 97 ($28,900)
¨ (Mathematica) 97 ($1,000)
· Member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
· Member of Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE)
· Member of Kappa Mu Epsilon (KME)
· Selected for Whos Who Among American Teachers (98, '02 and 04)
· Nominated for the National Dean's List (88 89)
· Received the Graduate Student Achievement Award for outstanding MS student at the University of Mississippi School of Engineering (87 88)
· Won first prize in the ACM graduate student paper competition (Gatlinburg, Fall 87)
Networking; Operating Systems; Security/Forensics; Web Development; GIS