Tutor of the Year
The Tutor of the Year award is a celebration of outstanding commitment and dedication shown by a Hundley Center Peer Tutor in service to the Union University community.
Tutors are selected for this award based on the following criteria:
- Nominations made by students, faculty, and staff
- Active attendance and participation in tutor training
- Overall performance
- Overall dedication to the tutor program
2014 Tutor of the Year
Megan will graduate from Union University in December 2014 with a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics with a minor in education. She worked as a peer tutor in the Hundley Center for two years, tutoring in college algebra, calculus, and statistics. Megan plans to pursue a graduate degree in mathematics and aspires to become a high school math teacher or a college professor.
What Are People Saying about the Hundley Center's 2014 Tutor of the Year?
- Megan is a truly gifted teacher and her faithful commitment to excellence is evident in her work as a tutor. She is extremely dependable, diligent, and conscientious. Megan is intentional in serving students, helping them feel comfortable coming to tutoring and then providing a quality tutoring experience by thoroughly and patiently explaining concepts. Megan goes above and beyond in her work and consistently models true servant leadership. She is very deserving of this honor!
- Megan has a great personality and is very articulate. She made everything so simple and clear. She helped me feel 100% better after my first tutoring session, so I returned for additional appointments.
- Megan always puts her students first, cares about their learning, and is really good at explaining things.
2014 Tutor of the Year Finalists
2013 Tutor of the Year
Joshua graduated from Union University in 2013, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology with a minor in sociology. He worked as a peer tutor in the Hundley Center for two years, tutoring in psychology, paper critiquing, study skills, time management, and test prep. Joshua received a graduate assistantship at the University of Louisiana at Monroe and is currently pursuing a Masters of Arts degree in Marriage and Family Therapy/Counseling. He plans to continue his education and go on to earn a doctorate. Joshua hopes to work with rural and military families, serve as an adjunct professor, and supervise marriage and family therapists in-training.
What Are People Saying about the Hundley Center's 2013 Tutor of the Year?
- Joshua is one of the kindest human beings I know. Not only did he tutor me efficiently in the Hundley Center, but he checked on me frequently at my desk and when I would pass him in the halls. He really cares about his students and makes it his priority to tutor us in the best way he can.
- Joshua is a true servant leader and an effective communicator. He demonstrates ingenuity in his tutoring methods and differentiates his instructional approaches to ensure students have a complete understanding of the information he is teaching. He is genuinely interested in the success of his students.
- Joshua is able to make difficult concepts relevant to me so that I can understand them.
2013 Tutor of the Year Finalists
2012 Tutor of the Year
Elaura graduated from Union University in 2012, earning Bachelor of Arts degrees in history and English. She worked as a peer tutor in the Hundley Center for two years, tutoring in history, paper critiquing, study skills, time management, and test prep. Additionally, Elaura served as the Hundley Center's first intern providing academic support and accountability to students and assisting with workshops and events. Elaura received a graduate fellowship at Middle Tennessee State University and is currently pursuing a Masters of Arts degree in Public History. She plans to become a university professor.
What Are People Saying about the Hundley Center's 2012 Tutor of the Year?
- Elaura goes out of her way to help her students and others who work in the Hundley Center. Even when she's really busy, I see her smiling and upbeat and giving her full attention to people.
- Elaura is an amazing young lady-so full of talent and life. She tutored me last year a lot in history. She is kind, patient, and very positive. Elaura is energetic and has a passion for history. I think the world of her!
- Elaura has one of the most people-focused attitudes I have ever seen. She is dependable, punctual, and personable; qualities that help her stand out as one of the best tutors in the Hundley Center. She has been an encouragement to many students during her time as a tutor and is most deserving of this honor.
- Elaura Highfield is the most dedicated tutor that I have worked with. She has always been on time and goes above and beyond to help. She helps me understand what I am doing wrong and genuinely cares about helping me understand my mistakes so I won't make them again. She is not condescending in her tutoring sessions but rather displays the characteristics of a woman of God. She is extremely encouraging and chooses to focus on my positive attributes rather than my negative. She is unique and unlike anyone else. I feel comfortable with her in tutoring sessions and know she always has my best interests in mind.
2012 Tutor of the Year Finalists