Tutor of the Year
The Tutor of the Year award is a celebration of outstanding commitment and dedication shown by a Hundley Center Peer Tutor in service to the Union University community.
Tutors are selected for this award based on the following criteria:
- Nominations made by students, faculty, and staff
- Active attendance and participation in tutor training
- Overall performance
- Overall dedication to the tutor program
2012 Tutor of the Year
Elaura graduated from Union University in 2012, earning Bachelor of Arts degrees in history and English. She worked as a peer tutor in the Hundley Center for two years, tutoring in history, paper critiquing, study skills, time management, and test prep. Additionally, Elaura served as the Hundley Center's first intern providing academic support and accountability to students and assisting with workshops and events. Elaura received a graduate fellowship at Middle Tennessee State University and is currently pursuing a Masters of Arts degree in Public History. She plans to become a university professor.
What Are People Saying about the Hundley Center's 2012 Tutor of the Year?
- Elaura goes out of her way to help her students and others who work in the Hundley Center. Even when she's really busy, I see her smiling and upbeat and giving her full attention to people.
- Elaura is an amazing young lady-so full of talent and life. She tutored me last year a lot in history. She is kind, patient, and very positive. Elaura is energetic and has a passion for history. I think the world of her!
- Elaura has one of the most people-focused attitudes I have ever seen. She is dependable, punctual, and personable; qualities that help her stand out as one of the best tutors in the Hundley Center. She has been an encouragement to many students during her time as a tutor and is most deserving of this honor.
- Elaura Highfield is the most dedicated tutor that I have worked with. She has always been on time and goes above and beyond to help. She helps me understand what I am doing wrong and genuinely cares about helping me understand my mistakes so I won't make them again. She is not condescending in her tutoring sessions but rather displays the characteristics of a woman of God. She is extremely encouraging and chooses to focus on my positive attributes rather than my negative. She is unique and unlike anyone else. I feel comfortable with her in tutoring sessions and know she always has my best interests in mind.
2012 Tutor of the Year Finalists