Barefoots Joe exists to serve Union University and the broader community by providing a classical coffeehouse that acts as a place for conversation, exchange of ideas, and appreciation of the arts. Further, we strive to provide excellent products and service, upholding such values as the worth of the individual, care of the earth, and good stewardship.
To this end, we are guided by the following principles:
- Encourage natural conversations and free discourse by limiting programming to that which is demonstrated to be of artistic merit, influential in culture, and appropriate to the context.
- Work collaboratively with the broader campus by operating with a team of faculty, staff, and students whose expertise and experience in the various disciplines furthers the mission of Barefoots Joe.
- Demonstrate hospitality through excellent service and superior products.
- Provide quality products and events that both sustain the space and respect the budgets of our patrons.
History of Barefoots Joe
Formerly the student lounge, Barefoots Joe coffee house was transformed after the 2008 tornado by a team of students who designed and implemented the renovations. The shop and music venue are primarily student-run, with a faculty advisor overseeing the collaborative operation. This structure affords students real experience in their fields of interest, including business, specialty coffee, media, sound engineering, and venue management.
In a campus-wide collaborative effort, Barefoots Joe is managed by a team of faculty, staff, and students.
- Joy Moore, Director of Barefoots Joe and Modero Coffee Roasters
- Levi Hartsfield, Roaster and Assistant Director
- Ben Johnson and Luke Sower, Venue Assistants
- Shea McCollough, Music Coordinator
- Tanner Cherry, Sound Engineer
- Heather Dockery, Barista Supervisor