Predictions for 2014
Jan 3, 2014
With all the pundits making predictions for the coming year, the Union Political Science faculty have decided to make some of their own predictions. See what the faculty predict and then come back next year and see how well they did. Our guess is that Dr. Watson's predictions will be the least likely to come true but they are definitely the most amusing.
Hunter Baker's 2014 predictions:
1. The GOP gets the Senate back after eight years in the wilderness. The majority leader will be chosen based on his/her ability to control Ted Cruz.
2. The GOP increases its majority in the House and further marginalizes Nancy Pelosi who will absolutely not retire.
3. President Obama appoints a new member of the Supreme Court. He thinks seriously about appointing Hillary, but she is after bigger game and would not accept the job.
4. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act, never struck down as to the federal government, continues to wreak havoc in positive ways on the HHS mandate.
5. One Direction breaks up. Harry goes solo.
Sean Evans' 2014 predictions:
1. Same sex marriage will be a reality for most Americans. There are 19 lawsuits challenging bans on same sex marriage in various states and federal courts will strike down the same sex marriage bans in over half of these cases. Simply put, Democrats have appointed slightly over half of all federal judges and same sex supporters are smart enough to file suits in districts where there is a good chance a Democratic judge will hear the case. With 18 states currently allowing same sex marriage, more than half of the states with more than half of the population will allow same sex marriage by the end of 2014. Moreover since Democratic appointees are majorities on 7 of the 13 Circuit Courts and there is a split on 2 others, the cases are unlikely to be overturned at the appellate court level.
Greg Ryan's predictions:
1. The P5 + 1 talks with Iran will produce some type of agreement that significantly lowers sanctions on Iran and opens the way for significant economic transaction between the West & Iran.
2. Egypt will descend into a low grade civil war between the ruling military authorities and the Muslim Brotherhood.
3. Japanese PM Shinzo Abe will face increasing difficulties at home and abroad due to his visit to the Yasukuni Shrine, spiraling debt associated with Abenomics & continuing problems with Fukushima reactor clean up.
Micah Watson's predictions:
Micah Watson's predictions:
1. President Obama will announce he is retiring . . . to become president of Union University.
2. Dr. Baker, MD, will win the PSC March Madness Bracket. Dr. Baker, Ph.D, will not turn in his bracket in time.
3. Miley Cyrus and Lindsay Lohan will read Plato's Republic and sorrowfully acknowledge that their heads, hearts, and stomachs are all out of order. Selena Gomez will begin mentoring them.
4.Hilary Clinton will make clear she is not running for president in 2016.
5. A Duck Dynasty figure will appear on Union University's campus for an event.
6. John Kerry will almost start an international incident with an inadvertent comment about Vladimir Putin without his shirt. Joe Biden will definitely start an international incident with a comment about the same.
7.Gitmo will not be closed.
8.New York City will ban additives, preservatives, and tax-payers.