Meet The Staff
The Residence Complexes are under the direct supervision of the Director of Residence Life through the Residence Life Staff.
The Resident Directors, with the assistance of the Resident Advisors, aim to provide a safe living/learning environment.
Residence Life Staff
- Favorite part of being on Res Life staff: Residence Life is in my blood. I served as an RA in college and have been involved with residence life ever since. Residence life provides an incredibly unique opportunity to 'do life together', as Dietrich Bonhoeffer illustrates, while pursuing academic, spiritual and relational growth.
- Favorite Food: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives…if it's owned by 'ma and pa' and off the beaten path I'm a fan.
- Favorite Season: As the great Elmur Fudd so eloquently verbalized "wabbit season, duck season, deer season…"
- Meaningful verse of Scripture: Colossians 3:12-17: "Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him".
- Family: I know that I'm biased, but I married the most wonderful girl in the world in September of 1998. Tricia and I have two boys: Clayton (2004) and Trent (2006)
- Education: B.A. in Theology from Mid-America Nazarene University; M.Ed. in College Student Affairs from Azusa Pacific University; Ed.D. in Educational Leadership with a specialization in Higher Education from Union University
Director of Residence Life
UU # 1806
- Favorite part of being on Res Life staff: I love working with college students and Residence Life provides an exciting avenue to do it. So much of who I am was a result of having intentional relationships in college and I love to help facilitate that opportunity for others.
- Hobbies: Sports (Go Packers!), technology, outdoor recreation, woodworking, traveling, and playing guitar and mandolin.
- Favorite Res Life memory from college: I don't have a specific one, but I lived with fantastic guys all four years in college and I still keep in contact with them to this day. My time living in community in college is a perfect illustration of Proverbs 27:17: "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."
- Meaningful verse of Scripture: Colossians 1:28 "We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ."
- Family: Renee and I met at the end of our freshmen year of college and we were married in 2002. Jonathan was born in 2005, Gabriel in 2008, Hope in 2009, and Gideon in 2010.
- Education: B.A. in Information Systems, Theology, & Church Education from Trinity Christian College; M.Div. in Youth and Family Ministries from Denver Seminary; Ed.D (in process) in Educational Leadership from Union University.
Secretary for the Office of Residence Life
Residence Director, Heritage Residence Complex
- Favorite part of being on Res Life staff: I am a firm believer that our lives and character are shaped by those around us. I think residence life creates a unique opportunity to learn how to thrive in healthy community. When done well, we allow ourselves to be known while we accept and get to know others - this is a beautiful mark of God's kingdom.
- Hobbies: I enjoy repurposing or restoring value to things, so I like searching for treasure at auctions, second hand stores and garage sales. I also love being outdoors, camping, hiking, gardening, or doing anything near water. Finally, I like meaningful conversations, spending time with old friends, meeting new friends, taking road trips, traveling, and spontaneous adventures to new places.
- Favorite Scripture: Romans 12:1-2 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God-this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will."
- Education: I graduated from Grace College in '09 with a Bachelor of Science in Counseling and Minor in Behavioral Science. I recently completed my Master's Degree ('13) at Taylor University in Higher Education and Student Development.
Assistant Residence Director, Heritage Residence Complex
Female Quads Staff
Residence Director, Female Quads
- Favorite Season: My favorite season has to be fall. Growing up in Florida, I was not able to experience seasonal changes because it is always hot! From mid September to late November I am outside with my children or students enjoying the crisp air or admiring the leaves changing. Seeing these amazing colors brings me great delight and allows me to reflect on the beauty of His Creation.
- Favorite thing about UU: There are many things I could say about Union, but if I had to pick my favorite it would be the community. People-focused, one of Union's core values, is reflected in the community of believers who live, eat, work, study, and play together. Students can identify Union's Christ-centered, People-focused community efforts from residence complexes to professors' home.
- Hobby(s): Weekends in the fall are defined by watching Florida Gator football with my family. Outside of football season, I enjoy scrapbooking life's memories for my children, and teaching various music classes.
- Family: I am blessed to have a wonderful husband, Ernie, whom I met while attending Union University. Ernie and I have the joy of serving and living among students for the past 7 years with our three boys, Clark, Matthew, and Titus. Our boys have a once in a lifetime privilege of growing up on a college campus and having incredible male spiritual role models.
- Education: Bachelor of Music in Music Education from Union University; Masters of Arts in Education with an emphasis in Curriculum and Instruction from Union University; Educational Specialist in Administration and Leadership with an emphasis in Special Education from Regent (December 2013).
Assistant Residence Director, Female Quads
- Favorite part of being on Res Life staff: I have a heart for discipleship and fostering community, which are both huge elements of Res Life! I love being a part of a team that is like-minded in our desire to serve the Lord by ministering to and living life with college students.
- Hobbies: Too many! I love cooking, fitness, sewing, crocheting, playing games, and just being with people.
- Favorite Season: After graduating from Union, I taught for two years in Venezuela where they don't have seasons. It is spring weather year round! I quickly realized how much I love fall and it is now by far my favorite time of year. I love to be outside in the cool weather and see the beautiful fall colors.
- Meaningful verse of Scripture: Many verses come to mind that have been meaningful in my life. The one that often sticks out is Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God." As a student at Union when the tornado hit in 2008, I clung to this verse. When a trial or difficult time comes my way, I quickly remember to be still and acknowledge God's sovereignty.
- Education: I graduated from Union in 2010 with a B.S. in Learning Foundations. I am currently working on a Masters of Christians Studies here at Union.
Male Quads Staff
Residence Director, Male Quads
Assistant Resident Director, Male Quads
- Favorite Part of Being on Reslife Staff: We have the great privilege of being ambassadors of Christ to students at one of the best universities in the nation. It is a joy to invest in these students' lives.
- Hobbies: writing and playing music, soccer, racquetball, and watching movies.
- Favorite Reslife Memory from College: There was one evening where my RA noticed I was a bit down in the dumps, so he organized an activity to cheer me up. The activity involved lighting pine cones on fire and lobbing them at me with tongs so that I could smack them in the air with a tennis racquet. The fiery cones were then caught in the air with a garbage bag.
- Meaningful Verse in Scripture: Titus 2:11-14 - "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works."
- Family: I am married to a beautiful redhead named Melody.
- Education: BM from Union University in Music Theory and Composition; MM from UNCG in Music Composition; currently working on a DMA from the University of Memphis in Music Composition