Faculty & Instructional Staff
Dr. James R. Kerfoot, Jr.
Assistant Professor of Biology
131 White Hall
Jackson, Tennessee 38305
- B.S. and M.S., Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, Edwardsville, IL
- Ph.D., Florida Institute of Technology
- Teaching Assistant and Lab Coordinator, Florida Institute of Technology, 2003-2008
- Teaching Assistant and Lab Coordinator, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, 2001-2003
- Research Associate, Kinetric, Inc. Mechanisms to deter fish from Power Plant Intakes, 2005-2009
Courses Commonly Taught
- Advanced Anatomy and Physiology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Wildlife Biology
- Marine Biology
- Collaborative Research Experience
- Pre-Physician's Assistant
- Ecophysiology of Aquatic Vertebrates, Movement and Dispersal of Invasive Fish Species, Functional and Ecological Morphology of Feeding Systems in Fishes
- Population Dynamics, Trophic Ecology, Conservation and Management Policy
Recent Collaborative Research Projects/Student Projects
Thomas Duncan: Scaling the Feeding Mechanism of Pike Killifish (Belonesox belizanus).
Aaron Davidson. Testing the Link Between Diet and Phentotypic Plasticity in the Feeding Mechanism of Lepomis microlophus.
The Influence of Temperature on the Feeding Rates of Two Introduced Species, Astronotus ocellatus (Oscar) and Archcentrus nigrofasciatus (Convict Cichlid): Implications for Their Successful Establishment in Florida.
Students: Mollie Carter, Chelsea Harden, Jared Littlejohn, Dakota Tracy, and Tara Tucker
Johnathan Love. Morphological Variation in Native and Introduced Populations of Pike Killifish (Belonesox belizanus).
Joshua Smith. The Effects of Temperature and Precipitation on Orientation and Summer Movements of Terrapene carolina. Co-mentor with J. Huggins, Ph.D.
Current Student Projects
Tyler Boone. Geographical Distribution of Larval Evstrongylides spp. in West Tennessee. Co-mentor with M. Lockett, Ph.D.
Micah Fern. Scaling the Feeding Mechanism in the American Alligator, Alligator mississippieusis.
Sarah Williams. The Effects of Temperature on the Feeding Kinematics of the invasive Lionfish, Pterosis volitaus.
John Kartzinel. The Influence of Temperature and the Presence/Absence of a Predator on the Startle Response of the Mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis.
- Kerfoot, J.R. and R.G. Turingham. 2011; Similarity and Disparity in Prey-Capture Kinematics Between the Invasive Pike Killifish (Belonesox belizanus) and the Native Florida Largemouth Bass (Micropterus floridanus). Florida Scientist, 74(3): 137-150.
- Kerfoot, J.R., J.J. Lorenz and R.G. Turingham. 2011. Environmental Correlates of the Abundance and Distribution of Belonesox belisanus in a Novel Environment. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 92: 125-139.
- Kerfoot, J.R. and J.F. Schaefer. 2006; Ecomorphology and habitat utilization of Cottus species. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 76: 1-13.
- Schaefer, J.F. and J.R. Kerfoot. 2002; Long term community change in an adventitious stream: Landscape Perspectives. American Midland Naturalist, 151(1): 134-145.
- Florida Academy of Sciences
- Society of Integrative and Comparative Biology
- Illinois State Academy of Science
- American Society of Ichthyology and Herpetology
- Southwestern Association of Naturalists
- Tennessee Academy of Sciences