The purpose of the Education Specialist in Educational Leadership is to prepare leaders who will make a difference as moral agents and sensitive social advocates for the children and the communities they serve; who will focus on the central issues of learning and teaching and school improvement; who will make strong connections as they reflect Christian values with others as individuals and as members of the educational community.
Students in the Ed.S. in Educational Leadership Program will:
- Demonstrate within their disciplines advanced knowledge and skills.
- Display competency in the critical evaluation of issues, trends and methodologies.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply research that extends the body of knowledge in the field.
- Enhance their ethical decision-making ability through an academic environment integrated with the Christian faith.
- Build intellectual and moral knowledge to cope with a pluralistic world in order to better serve communities and their schools.
The objectives are met within the context of a set of standards developed by the Educational Leadership Constituent Council of the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
The Education Specialist (Ed.S.) in Educational Leadership is offered along three concentrations:
- Instructional Leadership
- Teacher Leadership
- Leadership in School Reform
Instructional Leadership (IL) is a licensure track designed to prepare school principals and supervisors of instruction. The Teacher Leadership (TL) is a non-licensure track designed for school leaders who desire knowledge of concepts and strategies for school and classroom leadership.
The Leadership in School Reform track is designed to prepare school leaders with new and relevant courses in educational leadership. The purpose of this program is to create and actualize a vision for leadership in 21st century schools, embodying the best of research and practice in policy, child development, learning, teaching, and leadership within the context of school reform. In keeping with the trend of modern students and technology in learning, this degree is designed to be delivered fully online. This track is proposed to being in February 2014.
The degree is based on Union’s conceptual framework of A Teacher-Student Dynamic of Sensitivity, Reflection and Faith. Union University desires to prepare school leaders who are grounded in and committed to excellence in teaching and learning with values based on our Judeo-Christian heritage.
Instructional Leadership Application Document Samples/Examples (.pdf)