Summer Music Camp
- Next year's camp is scheduled for July 13-17, 2015. Registration information will be available in March 2015.
- The 2014 Summer Music Camp is now full, and we will not be taking any more registrants.
The Department of Music and the Community Music Center at Union University are excited to announce their annual Summer Music Camp, July 14-18, 2014. Now in its sixth year, the camp for students having completed first through eighth grades provides performance opportunities with expert clinicians, exposure to a wide variety of musical experiences, and a week of fun with friends.
- Students in Grades 1-5 and 6-8 will sing in choirs directed by Dr. Betty Bedsole and Dr. Chris Mathews, faculty of the Department of Music at Union University. In addition, the younger students will have a myriad of musical experiences with xylophones, handbells, piano, movement (grades 1-2), recorder (grades 3-5), and beginning strings. Older students will be able to choose between handbells, piano, and guitar classes and will also enjoy music technology seminars.
- As our annual highlight, all students will hear live performances daily by guest recitalists.
- The success of the camp is founded on the excellence of the teaching faculty and staff, all who are well respected and highly trained in the field of education, particularly music education, and all who graciously volunteer their time. For this reason, it is our privilege to be able to offer a camp of exceptional quality at a very reasonable cost. We anticipate openings will fill quickly, so register soon!
- If I just finished 8th Grade, will I have to be in classes with 1st graders? While there will be some interaction between all participants, there will actually be two separate camps; one for grades 1-5 and another for grades 6-8. Choirs and small groups will be separated by grade levels.
- How many students will be at the camp? Approximately 140. In order to balance each age group, we will divide registration into three age categories (1-2 grade, 3-5 grade, 6-8 grade) and will initially limit 1-2 grade and 6-8 grade to the first 40 registrants. Grade 3-5 will be limited to the first 60 registrants.
- How much does the camp cost? $50/child ($145 family maximum) if paid by May 1, 2014. After May 1, $70/child (no family maximum). The final registration deadline is June 16, 2014. What is included in the cost? All camp fees, a small daily snack, and a camp T-shirt.
- Will there be lunch? We ask that all participants bring a sack lunch and drink. A small snack will be provided in the afternoon
- Will family and friends be able to see what the students are doing? There will be two opportunities for family and friends to see student activities and accomplishments. On Thursday, July 17, we will open small group sessions during the day for observation. Friday evening, July 18 at 7:00, we will present a final concert in the Grant Events Center.
- Where will activities occur? Students will arrive each morning in the lobby of Jennings Hall, where most classes will take place. All students will complete their day in Jennings Hall as well. Several of the classes for grades 6-8 as well as Friday eveningâ€™s presentation will occur in the Grant Events Center.
- What if I have additional questions? You may contact Dr. Betty Bedsole, in the Department of Music by telephone or email: (731) 661-5226, email@example.com
- Brochure (.pdf)
- Registration Form (.pdf)
- Monday, July 14 - Friday, July 18
- Betty Bedsole